Choosing a Drag Harrow for Tractors and ATV?
We created this guide, so you can find the best Drag Harrows on the market.
Drag Harrows for tractors are versatile implements used for various tasks in agricultural and landscaping settings. They help with soil preparation, weed control, seedbed preparation, pasture maintenance, and gravel driveway maintenance. They are easy to attach to tractors and offer adjustable depth and angle settings for customization. Drag Harrows are effective tools that provide convenience and flexibility for a range of applications.
We’ve analyzed all the Drag Harrows on the market, looking at reviews, cost, ease of purchase, and many other factors.
Thus, we have compiled a ranking of the best Drag Harrows.
My experience with Drag Harrow for Tractors
Choosing the right harrow for my tractor was an important decision, and after careful consideration, I ended up choosing the Field Tuff HDHA-44 heavy-duty harrow. Here’s a recap of my experience and the factors that led to my decision:
- Research: I began by researching different brands and models of drag harrows for tractors. I focused on finding a harrow that would meet my specific needs, such as soil preparation and pasture care. Field Tuff stood out among other brands known for their durable and reliable equipment.
- Heavy-Duty Construction: The Field Tuff HDHA-44 caught my eye because of its heavy-duty construction. It is made of high-quality steel, which provides strength and durability even in harsh conditions. This was important to me because I needed a harrow that could withstand harsh conditions and still perform efficiently.
- Size and weight: The size and weight of the HDHA-44 matched the capabilities of my tractor. It provided good coverage without being too big or heavy for my equipment. I needed a harrow that could effectively cover the area I needed without burdening my tractor.
- Versatility: The HDHA-44 provided the versatility I was looking for. It was designed to perform a variety of tasks, including soil preparation and pasture care. This versatility meant I could use it for a variety of purposes, which made it a cost-effective investment.
- Attachment compatibility: the HDHA-44 was compatible with my tractor’s three-point hitch, which made the hitching process quick and easy. The reliable hitch ensured stability and optimum harrow performance during operation.
- Positive reviews: I reviewed the experiences of other customers who have used the Field Tuff HDHA-44. The positive reviews praising its durability, performance and versatility gave me confidence in my decision. Testimonials from users who had similar needs and applications to mine further solidified my choice.
- Budget: The HDHA-44 fit into my budget range, offering good value for its features and quality. It was an investment that I felt comfortable with given its reputation and positive reviews.
My decision to choose the Field Tuff HDHA-44 heavy-duty drag harrow was based on its heavy-duty design, versatility, compatibility with attachments, positive reviews and affordable price. It met my specific soil preparation and pasture care needs, and I was confident in its durability and performance. In the end, the HDHA-44 proved to be a reliable and efficient harrow that fit my tractor and met my requirements.
Best Drag Harrow for Tractors and ATV
Field Tuff HDHA-44 Heavy-Duty Drag Harrow
The Field Tuff HDHA-44 Heavy-Duty Drag Harrow is a versatile tool designed for various land preparation and maintenance tasks. It features a heavy-duty design with ½” thick harrow teeth, making it ideal for leveling plots, breaking up soil, leveling pastures, and grading. Weighing 129 lbs., it has seven horizontal rows of tines, totaling 69 heavy-duty tines. The tow chain with its ring fits over any 2″ trailer ball, allowing compatibility with ATVs, UTVs, and lawn tractors. The tow bar can be adjusted to the opposite end for less aggressive dragging or flipped over, providing versatility for different applications. It comes with a 1-year limited manufacturer’s parts warranty, and there’s an optional accessory, item HDHA42-SEC, available for increasing the drag length. The Field Tuff HDHA-44 Heavy-Duty Drag Harrow offers durability, flexibility, and reliability for various land maintenance needs.
- ½” thick harrow teeth and heavy-duty design.
- Features 7 horizontal rows of tines, for 69 heavy-duty tines.
- Weighs 129 lbs.
- Perfect for leveling plots, breaking up soil, leveling pastures, and grading.
- Tow chain with its ring fits over any 2″ trailer ball; works with ATVs, UTVs, and lawn tractors.
This harrow is ideal for gravel driveways and leveling pastures, feedlots, orchards, as well as breaking up clods of soil and preparing lawns.
MX 6-1/2′ x 4′ Variable Action Drag Chain Harrow
The MX 6-1/2′ x 4′ Variable Action Drag Chain Harrow is a versatile tool suitable for a variety of applications in farming, land maintenance, and landscaping. It is constructed from 1045 carbon steel, ensuring strength and durability. The harrow section measures 76″ wide by 54″ long and is equipped with 90 tines that are 3/8″ thick and 4″ long. With a power requirement of approximately 6 horsepower and weighing 95 lbs., it is manageable and effective during operation. This drag chain harrow is ideal for tasks such as spreading manure, seed bed preparation, enhancing germination, pasture renovation, land leveling, and driveway maintenance. It offers the convenience of easy changeover of harrowing actions by repositioning the pull drawbar, allowing for quick adjustment from aggressive to less aggressive or vice versa. The MX 6-1/2′ x 4′ Variable Action Drag Chain Harrow provides versatility, durability, and efficiency for a wide range of land maintenance needs.
- Complete With Heavy Duty Universal Draw Bar, Chain & Tow Ring.
- Carbon steel.
- 76″Wide x 54″Long Chain Harrow Section.
- Overall Length – 7-1/2 ft.
3/8″ Thick x 4″ long tines – 90 Tines.
- Power required to pull – 6 hp. Weight 95 lbs.
Yard Tuff DH-045 Drag Harrow
The Yard Tuff DH-045 Drag Harrow is a towable tool designed to assist in maintaining lawns or fields. It has dimensions of 5 x 4 feet and weighs 41 pounds. The harrow is constructed of durable steel with a rust-resistant, powder-coat finish, ensuring long-lasting use and protection against corrosion.
Featuring a galvanized meshed lining, this drag harrow is perfect for tasks such as leveling playing fields, preparing seedbeds, or maintaining lawns. The meshed lining helps to distribute soil and level the surface effectively.
The DH-045 comes with a front tray that can hold up to 8 inches of cement blocks. This feature allows for extra weight and stability, enabling the harrow to work more effectively and efficiently.
With its lightweight design, the drag harrow does not require a minimum horsepower to operate. It is designed for easy setup and tear down, thanks to its universal tow chain-style hitch, making it convenient to attach to your towing vehicle or equipment.
Yard Tuff DH-045 Drag Harrow offers a lightweight and versatile solution for maintaining lawns or fields. With its durable steel construction, galvanized meshed lining, and front tray for added weight and stability, it provides effective leveling and seedbed preparation. The easy setup and tear down, along with the universal tow chain-style hitch, make it a convenient tool for lawn and field maintenance.
- Measures 4″ x 5″.
- Constructed of a chain-link style galvanized mesh.
- A front tray holds 8” cement blocks for extra weight, making this drag harrow even more versatile.
The powder-coat finish and durable construction ensures that this product will resist rust and be long-lasting.
- Weighs only 41 lbs.
VEVOR Drag Harrow
The VEVOR Drag Harrow is a versatile tool designed for various ground maintenance tasks. With a large coverage area of 4 x 5 ft (20 sqft), this chain drag harrow offers high maneuverability and functionality, allowing for efficient work and quick flattening of the ground.
Made of high-quality Q235 steel, this gravel driveway drag harrow is rust-proof and corrosion-proof. The sturdy mesh construction ensures stability and prevents deformation, providing reliable and long-lasting usage.
The adjustable front tray of the ATV drag harrow allows for customization to fit different sizes of cement blocks. This feature enables you to increase the weight by placing blocks on the tray, enhancing the versatility for various ground jobs.
The drag mat is easy to use and store. Universal chain-style hitches are provided, allowing for quick attachment to most ATV, UTV, or utility tractors. The 7ft long chain provides convenience during use, and the mat can be rolled up for easy storage when not in use.
The VEVOR Drag Harrow is suitable for a wide range of applications. It can be attached to ATV, UTV, garden tractors, mowers, and utility tractors, making ground jobs convenient and efficient. Whether you need to level your farm, garden, yard, playing field, or gravel driveway, this chain harrow is designed to meet your needs.
- Measuring 4 x 5 ft.
- Coverage Area: 20 sqft.
- Made of High-Quality Q235 Steel, rust-proof and corrosion-proof.
- The chain is 7ft long for your convenient use.
The front tray of ATV drag harrow is connected with screws, so the tray’s distance is adjustable to fit different sizes of cement blocks.
Product comparison table
|Product||Field Tuff HDHA-44 Heavy-Duty Drag Harrow||MX 6-1/2′ x 4′ Variable Action Drag Chain Harrow||Yard Tuff DH-045 Drag Harrow||VEVOR Drag Harrow|
|Dimensions (ft)||N/A||6-1/2′ x 4′||4″ x 5″||4 x 5 ft.|
|Construction Material||N/A||Carbon steel||Chain-link galvanized mesh||Q235 Steel|
|Harrow Teeth Thickness||1/2″||3/8″||N/A||N/A|
|Number of Tines/Rows||69 tines in 7 horizontal rows||90 tines||N/A||N/A|
|Power Required to Pull (hp)||N/A||6||N/A||N/A|
|Additional Features/Description||Tow chain with ring fits over any 2″ trailer ball||Complete with heavy-duty universal draw bar, chain & tow ring||Front tray holds 8″ cement blocks for extra weight||Chain length: 7 ft|
|Common Applications||Leveling plots, breaking up soil, leveling pastures, grading||N/A||N/A||N/A|
What is Harrow?
In agriculture, a harrow is a tool for loosening and leveling the soil surface.
The harrows are therefore used to loosen the soil or create a flatter surface in preparation for sowing or after plowing. Harrowing is one of the best ways to properly maintain fields.
Chain Harrow: In a nutshell
- Essential in preparing fields and gardens, they also improve overall root aeration and water infiltration.
- Drag harrows help in improving plant health by reducing the chance of diseases caused by fungi and bacteria.
There are many types of harrows on the market, but chain harrows are most commonly used because of their versatility and efficiency.
How do I choose Drag Harrow for Tractors?
There are several factors to consider when choosing the right harrow for your tractor. Here are a few tips to help you make your choice:
- Purpose: Determine the main purpose of the harrow. Do you need it for tillage, weed control, seedbed preparation, pasture care, or gravel road maintenance? Understanding your specific needs will help you choose the right type and design of drag harrow.
- Size and weight: Consider the size and weight of your harrow in relation to the capabilities of your tractor. Make sure your tractor has enough power to operate the harrow effectively. Also, consider the size of the harrow in relation to the area you will be working. A larger harrow can cover a larger area, but it may require more horsepower to pull it.
- Construction and Durability: Look for a harrow made of strong materials, such as high-quality steel, to ensure strength and durability. The harrow should be able to withstand harsh conditions and heavy use without sacrificing performance.
- Coupling compatibility: Check the harrow’s hitch compatibility with your tractor. Make sure the harrow hitch type matches your tractor’s three-point hitch or drawbar. This will ensure a secure and correct hitch.
- Adjustability: Pay attention to whether the harrow has adjustable features such as depth and angle settings. Adjustable settings will allow you to adjust the aggressiveness of the harrow and adapt it to different soil or surface conditions.
- Reviews and Recommendations: Read customer reviews and ask experienced users or professionals in the field for recommendations. Their reviews can provide valuable information about the performance, durability, and suitability of various harrow models.
- Budget: Determine your budget for a drag harrow and look for options that fit within your price range. Consider the balance between cost and quality to ensure that you get a reliable and efficient harrow that meets your needs.
Using of Harrow
- Soil aeration. Achieving good grass growth in paddocks can be as simple as a quick harrow. This means that water can easily run off and gain access to the roots, which is ideal for dense and compacted soil that is usually not very well-drained.
- Removing Moss and Weeds. This is a quick and easy way to remove any unwanted and naughty weeds from paddocks. Harrows are also handy for pulling out any moss with the aggressive action of the tines.
- Leveling the soil and sand. Don’t those pesky moles show up everywhere? Fortunately, with a chain harrow, it’s very easy to quickly go over these areas and remove any lumps or irregularities in the fields. Horse owners will also be pleased to know that harrows can also be used to level sand shoals or arenas.
- Crushing and spreading manure. Loosens up heavy clumps of soil and can break up any surface crust. The harrows also make it easier to spread any manure piles in the paddocks. 5) Raking the seedbed. After seeding, inverted harrows can be used to rake a loose layer of soil over freshly sown seeds to encourage growth.
Drag Harrow how to use it correctly?
- Hitch the harrow: Hitch the harrow to a suitable vehicle or tractor with chains, ropes, or a hitch. Make sure it is securely fastened to prevent it from coming loose during operation.
- Adjust the harrow: Depending on soil conditions and desired level of aggressiveness, you may need to adjust the harrow. This may include changing the angle of the tines or adjusting the depth to which they penetrate the soil.
- Prepare the area: Clear the area of large rocks, stumps, or debris that could interfere with the harrow. It is important that the surface be relatively smooth and level for the harrow to work effectively.
- Start slowly: Start with a slow speed to get used to the operation of the harrow. Gradually increase the speed as you become more comfortable and confident controlling the implement.
- Use the right technique: The basic technique involves driving the machine in a straight line across the field, allowing the harrow to evenly distribute and level the soil. A slight overlap of passes can help ensure thorough coverage.
- Control the depth: Monitor the depth to which the tines penetrate the soil. If you notice excessive resistance or the harrow digs too deep, you may need to change the setting to avoid damaging the soil or the harrow itself.
- Adjust for different soil conditions: Depending on soil type and moisture content, you may need to adjust the harrow. Looser soils may require deeper penetration, while denser soils may benefit from shallower adjustments.
- Regular maintenance: Clean the harrow of debris and tangled vegetation after each use. Inspect the harrow for damage or wear and make necessary repairs or replacements to ensure optimum performance.
Be sure to read the specific manufacturer’s instructions for your harrow, as different models may have slight differences in operation and maintenance.
Types of harrow
Choosing the best harrow depends on what types of conditions will be addressed and what type of equipment will be used in conjunction with the tool. There are several basic types: disc models, models with tines, and models with chain chains are the most common types of harrows. Each is suitable for different types of work.
A chain harrow, also known as a drag harrow or strip harrow, is used to spread and aerate dirt and sand. It is made of lightweight chain mesh with small spikes or teeth. The chain harrow has a net-like structure made up of chains, while the disc harrow is equipped with huge discs with sharp cutting edges. Given the lightness of the chain harrow, it is usually used with other harrows, often in the last phase of tillage.
The chain harrow is best used for the following tasks:
- Lightly leveling the soil surface.
- Breaking up small clumps of dirt to create a smoother surface.
- Covering newly planted seeds.
- Spreading fertilizer.
- Leveling and smoothing athletic fields.
The chain harrow is also sometimes used for sporting purposes: in particular, baseball fields need to be dragged with chain harrows to level the dirt on the homestead and remove any loose pebbles, clumps of dirt, or debris that may have been carried by the wind onto the field.
Disc harrows typically penetrate deep into the ground, while chain harrows can only penetrate a few inches. The disc harrow breaks up large clods of soil to prepare the field for sowing. It consists of metal discs on a heavy metal frame with different types of discs for different soil conditions or purposes. It is one of the most commonly used tractor implements for gardening and is capable of working acres of land. The heavy blades can cut large clumps of soil, weeds, and old crops, making it ideal for the toughest jobs.
The disc harrow is best for the following jobs:
- Breaking up large clumps of soil.
- Pulling out weeds.
- Shredding old crops and stumps.
- Turning and mixing the soil.
- Levelling large areas of uneven soil.
Application of Drag Harrow
Drag Harrows are highly versatile in their design and performance. A harrow mounted on the drag bar with tines facing down and forward will deliver aggressive soil stirring action and deep penetration. Turn the harrow 180 degrees with tines facing down and to the rear and you’ll get less penetration with lighter cultivating action.
The harrow perfect for:
- Working seed and fertilizer into freshly cultivated soil or into turf and pasture grass that have just been opened up for overseeding.
- Smoothing out and leveling freshly cultivated soil.
- Fluffing, leveling, and grooming dirt running tracks, baseball infields, riding arenas & rodeo arenas.
- Aerating soil for faster dry-downtime after a rainfall.
- De-thatching and aerating lawns and pastures.
- Breaking-up and redistributing aeration cores on turf surfaces.
- Breaking-up and distributing manure droppings on grassy areas.
- Grooming snow-packed ski resorts for improvement of skiing and snowboarding conditions.
Drag Chain Harrow Buying Criteria
- Width of the chain harrow
- Length of the chain harrow
- Type of Tines
Width of the chain harrow
The width of your chain harrow plays a key role in the efficiency and performance of your chain harrow. The general rule is that the width of your chain harrow should be wider than the width of your tractor. If your tractor is going to be an ATV, you don’t have to bother buying a very wide chain harrow. The main reason you keep the harrow wider than your hauler is so that it can guarantee wheel track removal. What’s more, the soil compacted by the weight of the ATV is aerated again.
Length of the chain harrow
The length of your chain harrow depends on the size of your field. In most cases, farmers find 5-foot chain harrows to be optimal for their medium-sized fields. However, for larger fields, a 10- to 12-foot chain harrow is optimal. Purchasing a harrow without considering the right tool size will lead to inconvenience. Investing in a smaller harrow will make your task longer and more stressful, and buying a harrow longer than necessary will reduce the overall efficiency of the process.
Type of Tines
Chain harrows usually come with two types of tines:
- Fixed Tine
- 3-Way Tine
Fixed tine chain harrows have only one direction of pull, i.e. forward. They usually have a low cost compared to other types of chain harrows. A three-way chain harrow, on the other hand, has three directions of pull. In the forward direction it provides aggressive plowing, in the reverse direction the plowing character is passive and not very deep. The third direction is lateral, in which it can only be used for less aggressive tasks such as seeding. The three-way stand is ideal if you have several fields so that you can choose the type of action depending on the soil conditions.
Drag Harrow for Tractors and ATV Price:
Drag Harrow for Tractors and ATV under $500:
- MX 6-1/2′ x 4′ Variable Action Drag Chain Harrow.
Drag Harrow for Tractors and ATV under $300:
- Field Tuff HDHA-44 Heavy-Duty Drag Harrow.
Drag Harrow for Tractors and ATV under $200:
- Yard Tuff DH-045 Drag Harrow;
- VEVOR Drag Harrow.
FAQ about Drag Harrow
Can a chain harrow be used on wet ground?
No! None of the harrows available on the market are suitable for being used on wet ground. Make sure your field is completely dry before harrowing.
Are chain harrows suitable for leveling the ground?
Yes! Amongst all the chain harrows available on the market, chain harrows are most suitable for pasture renovation, leveling up, and breaking the ground.
Do chain harrows break?
If you use lighter chain harrows for grounds that need considerable soil breaking and have a lot of stones and pebbles, your chain harrow might break.