Most people who have bought a country house, dream of a flat lawn near the house. However, in most cases, the purchased land is very far from ideal, and to realize the dream of a beautiful yard, you will have to work hard. Leveling the land for a lawn actually takes a lot of effort and is quite expensive. However, this operation can be carried out without the help of specialists, and together with them.
How to level the plot at the cottage with their own hands under the lawn? The main difficulty lies in the fact that plots without proper inspection represent a bumpy area, which in addition grows a large number of perennial wild grasses, absolutely not going to cede their territory to noble plants.
Leveling the land: go to the experts or do it yourself
Of course, the answer to this question lies on the surface. If the owner of the plot has enough money, it is easier to turn to professionals and quickly solve the problem. Also, it is better to hire professionals, if the land is swampy, has a significant roughness, slopes, lots of stones, etc., and you probably cannot do without special equipment. Such a site will require the use of a bulldozer, tractor, and cultivator.
Pay attention! In most cases, almost all work on the adjacent territory can be done with their own hands for a short time. As a rule, the best way to work can be the combined use of the services of specialists (in terms of performing heavy work) mixed with their own labor.
Why alignment is necessary?
The first thing that speaks in favor of leveling the ground is the good look, the convenience in subsequent maintenance, and the fact that the soil is subject to minimal erosion.
The level ground also has positive effects on the following factors:
- Plants grow much better and more vigorously on a level surface;
- The rain doesn’t wash the soil away;
- No water accumulates on the lawn, no puddles form;
- Plants are evenly exposed to sunlight;
- A level surface is convenient to arrange buildings.
Thus, having leveled the lawn once before sowing the soil, then you do not have to break your head and get nervous during its subsequent cultivation and maintenance.
How to level it: manually or with equipment?
You can do all the work with your own hands, or you can bring in the help of technology.
More in detail:
Alignment with the use of technology
The following equipment is used for works on soil leveling:
The cost of renting machinery will depend on your city, state and location.
Of course, the amount of work equipment depends on the abandonment of the site. So, for example, if there are gullies, bushes, elevation differences, then some should be leveled and others should be cut. This will require the redistribution of land across the plot, which requires a tractor and grader. After that, the final leveling of the soil is carried out with a cultivator.
Important! Without technology can not do without, if the plot is loam or clay soil. It will have to be completely removed and a new fertile layer will be brought in.
Thus, in some cases, you can’t do without special equipment. Also, if necessary, you can invite specialists to your site, who will conduct training or make a plan of work.
The manual way of leveling
After working with a technique on the ground, you can only talk about its relative evenness. Often without manual labor can not do without in any case. If the soil on the plot does not have serious defects, it is more profitable to carry out its leveling with your own hands. As a rule, they will not take much time, it is quite realistic to cope with them in a few days.
The sequence of leveling the site under the lawn
How to level a plot for a lawn with your own hands? This question involves performing the following steps.
To carry out the work with your own hands will require the following tools and materials:
- Fork, shovel, rake;
- Construction level;
- Pegs, rope.
Leveling the area under the lawn, if there are no slopes:
- Initially, it is necessary to determine the height of the plot of soil and find the average. From this point it is necessary to push off when leveling.
- A peg is driven into the selected point.
- From the landmark peg, the rest of the pegs should be hammered at a distance of 0.5-1.0 m. Next, a rope should be stretched between the pegs. For convenience, you can leave about 10 cm between the rope and the soil. The rope should be stretched. Next, a level will be needed.
- After dividing the plot into squares, you will visually see where you need to add soil and where you need to remove it.
- After this follows the direct leveling of the earth along the perimeter.
- The leveled soil should be seasoned for 2 weeks.
- If holes appeared after shrinkage, they are corrected by sprinkling.
If there is a desire to leave the slope, you need to act as follows:
- The highest point on the plot is determined. A peg is driven into it.
- Determine the lowest point on the site and also put a peg.
- The pegs are connected with a rope at their lowest point and a second rope at the highest point.
- The ground is leveled, taking into account the tension of the ropes, and then it should be allowed to stand for 2 weeks.
Rules of site preparation
In this difficult work, it is important to consider some nuances:
- Carry out planning on the yard site, allocating places for buildings, decorative elements, and paths.
- It is always worth determining the level of slope and its direction.
- It is necessary to remove hills, stones, and pits on the site.
- If necessary, you should remove the top clay or boggy layer, and in its place sprinkle fertile soil.
- Brought soil should not be stored for more than 3 weeks, as its useful substances evaporate.
- The ground should be leveled in dry weather.
If you perform the work, observing all the above points, then you will not have to do the re-leveling of the lawn after it began to grow, which is very difficult.